The traditional Nahm Jin Talay Sauce gives this simple recipe a kick without too much effort. Just in time for summertime barbecues.
½ pound sweet green chilies
3 each whole garlic cloves
½ bunch cilantro
1 cup fish sauce
1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup palm sugar
1 large thai chili
Salt to taste
2 – 6 oz giant prawns
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients, except salt, into a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Pass through a strainer and season with salt to taste.
1. Preheat grill to high heat.
2. Wash the prawns in ice water.
3. Dry the prawn with a clean towel, then use kitchen shears to cut the shell of the back of the prawn all the way from the neck to the tail.
4. Use a sharp knife to cut the back of the prawn and take out the vain. Be sure that not remnants of the vain remain.
5. Rinse the prawn in ice water again and dry.
6. Season with salt and pepper and place on grill for 5 minutes total, rotating to ensure even cooking on all three sides.
7. Remove from grill and squeeze lime on top.
8. Serve with sauce on the side.